The iOS 12 beta has already earned admiration for its superior performance to last year's controversially buggy iOS 11. That doesn't mean it's free from problems, however. The latest from Apple has plenty of bugs and glitches of its own to contend with, many of which, unfortunately, affect the apps we use every day.
But that isn't necessarily iOS 12's fault. In the early stages of a beta, many developers haven't optimized their apps to work on the latest beta release. While some apps might continue to operate just fine, others can see disastrous consequences when using any beta version of iOS.
All issues need to be understood within context, however. We're currently in a closed beta for iOS 12, for developers only, so issues should be the only expectation of any user who installs the update on their device. Nevertheless, it's helpful to know which apps to watch out for, to limit as many unwanted surprises as possible.
Much of the compilation below would not have been possible without the extensive cataloging of MacRumors user eish2306, but we've also added buggy apps our users found, as well as ones we've personally experienced.
The following is a bit of a mixed bag. Some apps here have presented an issue or two worth noting as "minor," which won't stop your use of the app, but might give you a chuckle if you run into them. Others, on the other hand, are more disruptive, ranging from frequent crashes to the inability to log in under certain circumstances. Take a look at this list to see how — if any — of your apps are affected in iOS 12.
Keep in mind that developers may update their apps at any time, so these issues may disappear after updating your app — if an update is available.
- Telegram Messenger: Homescreen improperly scaled on iPhone X.
- 1Blocker X: Extra space under search on iPhone X.
- Box: Photos are not properly aligned.
- Bank of America: Some users might be unable to log into or view account information.
- Barclays UK: Crashes frequently, within the minute.
- Google Maps: Search bar occasionally shrinks when using the app.
- Gospel Library: Left-side tab headers under "Notes" and "Tips" are cut off.
- LDS Tools: Search/filter bar glitches when rotating to landscape.
- iSmartAlarm: Can't log in due to "No internet connection" on iPhone 8 Plus.
- MoviePass: Taking a picture of a ticket stub can cause the app to crash (for those who need to verify ticket purchases). If you start a help ticket, you'll get the following warning: "We do not advise MoviePass members to install iOS 12 on their main devices as they may experience crashes that are outside of MoviePass' control or power to fix at this time."
- NPR One: Playback controls render at an incorrect proportion.
- OkCupid Dating: Profile pictures not aligning correctly.
- OpenVPN Connect: Need a certificate for authentication to log in on an iPhone X.
- Pleco Chinese Dictionary: Text does not appear in lists — users report "dark mode" is a workaround.
- PUBG Mobile: Game can crash on iPhone 5S.
- RunKeeper: GPS seems to be inaccurate and unstable on iPhone X, which will affect exercise tracking.
- Street Fight IV Champion Edition: Crashes when starting a ranked match.
The following apps aren't like the ones we've listed above. You won't simply run into mild-to-bad bugs because you won't be able to use these apps at all. Some might not let you log in under any means, while others just simply refuse to launch.
Again, keep in mind that developers may update their apps at any time, so these issues may disappear after updating your app — if an update is available.
- Acuity Scheduling: Instantly crashes.
- Audible: Instantly crashes.
- Alien Blue: Instantly crashes.
- CareCredit: Instantly crashes.
- Citi Mobile: Instantly crashes.
- first direct: Instantly crashes.
- Evernote: Reportedly unusably slow.
- Fortnite: Crashes when starting a new game.
- GarageBand: Instantly crashes (experienced on iPhone 8 Plus).
- HSBC: Instantly crashes.
- Microsoft Teams: Instantly crashes.
- Netflix: Either "loads" endlessly, or will not allow users to log in.
- Overglide - Widget Game: Won't load the game at all.
- Palo Alto Networks' GlobalProtect: Popup says app must be updated for iOS 12.
- Real Racing 3: Crashes frequently.
- S-mobiili: Instantly crashes.
- San Diego County Credit Union: Crashes frequently.
- Skype: Instantly crashes.
- Sparkasse and S-pushTAN: Instantly crash.
- talkRADIO UK: Freezes on the initial screen.
- Tesco Clubcard: Cannot load anything.
- Untappd - Discover Beer: Will not allow users to log in.
While the number of apps on this list might be a bit of a shock to you, take comfort in knowing we're still in the early days of iOS 12. These developers are all going to update their apps to work with this latest iOS update in due time, perhaps even before iOS 12 beta 2 drops. Most of these issues will be faint memories by iOS 12's official release in a few months time.
If you have any interest in trying out iOS 12 before then, make sure to check out our guide for a complete walkthrough on downloading and installing the beta on your iPhone. After getting it, make sure to update your apps frequently to make sure any patches devs add after the fact will fix apps you're having issues with.