Apple released the fifth developer beta for iOS 12 on Monday, July 30, only 13 days after the release of dev beta 4 and 12 days after public beta 3. Until this release, Apple kept a consistent two-week schedule for developer beta updates, so we were a little surprised to see this one drop one day early.
The new iOS 12 developer beta 5 appears to mostly include bug fixes and security patches, including for an issue where you couldn't wake your iPhone if put to sleep while the brightness was fully dimmed as well as an issue where cellular data stats would continuously refresh. There is also a new haptic feedback for attempting to launch the app switcher when no apps are in the background.
If you want to update your iPhone to iOS 12 dev beta 5, you need to be a registered developer with a valid configuration profile. If you have iOS 12's new "Automatic Updates" enabled, you can let the software update overnight. To download the new beta right now, however, open the Settings app, tap "General," then "Software Update." Select "Download and Install," then follow the on-screen prompts to download and install iOS 12 dev beta 5.
While this beta release is only available to developers, public testers received the update the next day. Public beta 4 is exactly the same as this developer beta 5.
One of the biggest changes to come with dev beta 4 and public beta 3 was a patch for the popular game Fortnite. Fans of the game that installed iOS 12 from the beginning were quickly displeased to find that the software would cause the game to crash frequently, making Fornite near-impossible to play on the beta, but that's no longer an issue.
Here are some of the issues affecting previous beta versions that iOS 12 dev beta 5 fixes:
- An error message might appear while attempting to install an app. (41858048) — Workaround: Try installing the app again.
- Models with flexible input sizes may unexpectedly reject an input using the default size displayed in Xcode's type field. (40632323) — Workaround: Supply a non-default size input on first prediction call.
Phone and FaceTime:
- The cellular signal status bar indicator on iPhone X might be inaccurate while on the Lock Screen or the Home Screen. (41909622)
- The Cellular Data section in Settings > Cellular might refresh continuously. (41587310)
- Usage data and settings might not sync between devices. (41259736) — Workaround: Restart the affected devices.
- Siri Shortcuts might not work while using CarPlay. (39882673, 41652481)
- Siri Shortcuts might not be restored from iCloud backup. (40899084)
- SiriKit queries might be delayed or result in an error message. (41759318) — Workaround: Restart the affected device.
- Wallet might unexpectedly quit on launch. (41603255) — Workaround: Use the application switcher to quit Wallet then try launching it again.
New issues that appear in dev beta 5 are bolded below:
- After restarting your device, paired Bluetooth accessories might not function correctly or might be displayed using the device's address rather than its name. (42397527) — Workaround: In Bluetooth settings, select Forget This Device and pair the accessory to your device again.
- Various CoreGraphics calls have been hardened against continuing with invalid parameters. In iOS 12 beta, these calls may now return NULL or return early. (38344690)
- Inviting iOS 11 users who have multiple email addresses associated with their Apple ID to a home might not succeed. (41033550) — Workaround: Send the invitation to a different email address or phone number associated with the Apple ID of the iOS 11 user.
- Certain languages may exhibit clipped or misaligned layout. (40420329)
- Certain languages may display unlocalized text. (40420422)
- When a queueTransaction is performed on applicationQueuePlayer to modify the position of a song, the queue returns unchanged. (39401344)
Phone and FaceTime:
- Group FaceTime calls cannot be initiated between iOS 12 beta 3 and the first iOS 12 beta release. (39873802) — Workaround: Users should update to iOS 12 beta 3.
- iPod touch (6th generation), iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPad Air support only audio (no video) during Group FaceTime calls in iOS 12 beta.
- In iOS 12 beta, Camera Effects in Messages is available only on iPhone SE and iPhone 6s or later and is unavailable on iPad. Camera Effects in FaceTime is available only on iPhone 7 or later and is unavailable on iPad.
- Wi-Fi calls might end unexpectedly when transitioning from Wi-Fi to cellular while on the T-Mobile network. (39251828)
- "Picked Up Phone" statistics might be inflated due to data syncing from other devices signed into the same iCloud account. (39917173)
- Using Apple Pay Cash to send or request money might produce an error. (41015948) — Workaround: Include a dollar amount in the Siri request, for example: "Send 10 dollars to Johnny Appleseed with Apple Pay".
- While using CarPlay, Siri is unable to open an app by name. Additionally, Shortcuts which involve opening an app won't function. (41099393)
- Some Shortcuts requests might not succeed and display "Shortcuts will continue with your request". If your app sends a ContinueInApp response code, Siri doesn't launch the app. (41507171)
- While multiple ride-sharing apps are installed, Siri might open the app instead of providing an ETA or location when asked. (42324032) — Workaround: Ask Siri for the ETA or location again.
- Users might not see custom UI when using Siri Suggestions Shortcuts with built-in intents. (42406900) — Workaround: Add the shortcut to Siri in Settings > Siri & Search. Then use Siri to run the shortcut and verify the custom UI within Siri
- While using CarPlay, Shortcuts which require confirmation might not work. (42444240)
- Siri Shortcuts might not work if a device is locked. (41307405)
- InSwift, the shortcut property of INVoiceShortcut must be accessed as _shortcut. (40418400)
- Siri Suggestions for Shortcuts are enabled on iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4. (40669231)
- You might encounter issues with systemLayoutSizeFitting(_:) when using a UICollectionViewCell subclass that requires updateConstraints(). (42138227) — Workaround: Don't call the cell's setNeedsUpdateConstraints() method unless you need to support live constraint changes. If you need to support live constraint changes, call updateConstraintsIfNeeded() before calling systemLayoutSizeFitting(_:).
- When using Messages in the iOS Simulator, a message might not be delivered from User A to User B. (40916530) — Workaround: Send a message from User B to User A.
Start your career in Graphic Design with the Gadget Hacks Beginners’s Guide to Photoshop Course