Right after Apple released iOS 12.2 dev beta 6 on Monday, March 18, it seeded the public beta version. So far, from what we can tell, the sixth beta includes a patch for an Apple Pay issue and yet another update to the "About" page in Settings, this time with a new section for warranty and insurance information.
The biggest change we've found in beta 6 is this warranty and insurance status. If you purchased AppleCare+, you'll see that in the "About" section with an expiration date. If you didn't purchase AppleCare, and your iPhone is less than one year old, you'll see "Limited Warranty," including the expiration date for the warranty. And if your iPhone is relatively new, you'll also see options to buy an AppleCare+ plan right away if you don't already have one.
This new "About" feature seems to be a work in progress, as it's not on everyone's devices. And it doesn't seem to be account based since we have the option on half of our iPhones but not the other half, even though there's either AppleCare+ or a warranty still available. Hopefully, this gets squared away in the stable release, but for most of you, it may just be a matter of not having an active or possible warranty or insurance.
Apple has also included a fix for an Apple Pay issue where authentication would fail within Wallet after selecting a card to use. In addition to this change, beta 6 likely includes minor bug fixes for issues found in beta 5. Check out Apple's full release notes for iOS 12.2 beta 6 here:
App Store - Promoting Your Subscriptions with New Offers
StoreKit now supports subscription offers in addition to introductory offers, so apps with auto-renewable subscriptions will soon be able to provide a discounted price for a specific duration for existing and previously subscribed customers. You will be able to use subscription offers to help win back subscribers who have canceled their subscriptions or promote an upgrade to another subscription at a special price. Customers can accept the offer even if they've already completed an introductory offer.
StoreKit introduces a new array of SKProductDiscount objects within the SKProduct class to display offers within your app to eligible customers. Add a new SKPaymentDiscount object within the SKPayment class to allow these offers to be accepted by the customer.
Apple Pay - Resolved Issues
- Resolved an issue where authentication sometimes failed within Wallet after selecting a card( 44919900)
Cellular - Resolved Issues
- Resolved an issue that prevented prepaid data plan purchases while using cellular data. (47272516)
HealthKit - New Features
- High and low heart rate notifications and irregular heart rhythm notifications are now available as read-only category sample types. (46422154)
iCloud Photos - Resolved Issues
- Photos shared using Sharing Suggestions now load correctly. (47401696)
Lock Screen - Resolved Issues
- The device charge level no longer remains on the lock screen after removing the device from a charger. (47363913)
News - New Features
- Apple News will be available in Canada with iOS 12.2, and is now available for Canadian users on the developer beta. Apple News in Canada supports both English and French. Readers can access a bilingual experience when they follow a channel in a second language. Note: Publications in the beta do not reflect all content that will be available. Top Stories and Digests are not updated as frequently as they will be in the shipping product.
Siri - Resolved Issues
- Siri works in iOS simulators. (46681836)
To download and update your iPhone to iOS 12.2 public beta 6, you will first need to be a registered developer with a valid configuration profile. If you have iOS 12's "Automatic Updates" enabled, you can let the software update overnight. To install right away, launch the Settings app, select "General," then "Software Update." Tap "Download and Install," then follow the on-screen prompts.
Apple is including quite a few new features in 12.2 aside from the minor changes mentioned above. The next big updates include new Animoji, AirPlay 2 support among third-party TVs, and air quality controls in Weather, just to name a few. While not the most substantial update in iOS history, 12.2 is certainly an exciting one.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions.