Right on the heels of the iOS 11.4.1 beta 3 release, Apple pushed out iOS 12 beta 2 to registered developers on Tuesday, June 19. Public beta testers received the same version, labeled as iOS 12 public beta 1, six days later on Monday, June 25. Last year, the iOS 11 public beta opened up just five days after the release of iOS 11 developer beta 2, so iOS 12 is pretty much right on track in that regard.
At first glance, there doesn't seem to be any huge updates to the iOS 12 beta with this second dev release (first public), but we'll keep you updated with any new developments as we find them. As for issues that are present, iOS 12 dev beta 2 (public beta 1) does break the Weather widget (though, I haven't had any issues), and group FaceTime calls cannot be initiated between iOS 12 dev beta 2 and iOS 12 dev beta 1 users.
Also worth noting is that all Screen Time settings you have enabled in dev beta 1 will be reset, so you will have to go back in and manually set them up again after updating to iOS 12 dev beta 2. For a complete list of what appears in the release notes — new issues, known issues, and resolved issues — jump down to the bottom of this article.
To update your iPhone to the latest iOS 12 beta, you need to be a registered developer or public beta tester with a valid configuration profile. If you had turned on "Automatic Updates" previously, you can just wait until nighttime when you're sleeping to have it automatically downloaded and installed. To get it right now, just head to the Settings app, tap "General," then "Software Update." Once there, select "Download and Install," then follow the on-screen prompts.
Here are some of the iOS 12 dev beta 1 issues that iOS 12 dev beta 2 and public beta 1 fixes:
- The "Maps Nearby" widget buttons don't launch the Maps app. (40099072)
- Opening an iWork document via AirDrop or Files app might cause the device to become unresponsive. (40338520, 40694399)
- Time Zones might not update automatically. (40499996)
- When deploying apps to iOS 11 or earlier, JPEG image assets are not included in the compiled .car file. (40507731)
- Vibration alerts on iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus might be unexpectedly loud. (40524982)
- Some EA games (Real Racing 3, Sims 3 Free Play) might unexpectedly quit on launch. (39847417)
- Some users might be unable to log in to or view account information in the Bank of America app. (39975169)
- Citi Mobile might unexpectedly quit on launch. (40205739)
- Platform Switching for Switch Control is unavailable in iOS 12 beta. (40035312)
- Sysdiagnose initiation via the Analytics menu item in AssistiveTouch and Switch Control is currently unavailable. (40504710)
- Newly-created calendar events might be unavailable to VoiceOver. (40555552)
- Signing into a previously-used sandbox account during the In-App Purchase flow might produce unexpected results. (40639792)
- When an Apple Pay payment sheet is presented in Safari on a Mac without Touch ID, you won't be able to confirm the payment if your iPhone or Apple Watch display is off. (40384791)
- Alarms are currently unavailable while using CarPlay. (39159434)
- While typing in certain apps, keyboard suggestions may overlap. (40231537)
- In.objmodels,thebumpsemanticsin.mtlfilesdon'tmapto MDLMaterialSemanticTangentSpaceNormal. (40665817)
- Personal Hotspot might be unavailable. (40379017)
Phone & FaceTime:
- The Calls on Other Devices using your carrier account feature is unavailable on iOS 12 beta. (40180205)
- Users might be unable to configure Call Forwarding. (40362744)
- During a Group FaceTime call, the text overlay feature might remain invisible until the preview window is moved downward. (40395097)
- Attempting to add an additional participant to a FaceTime call with many participants might not succeed. (40433480)
- Wi-Fi Calling might be disabled after updating to iOS 12 beta. (40467667)
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) customers using the Bell network in Canada might experience an error message when attempting to sign up for a cellular plan or when attempting to access 'Manage Bell Account'. (40556479)
- During a FaceTime call, iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation), and iPad (6th generation) don't send video to the receiving device. (40725406, 40873560)
- Search results might be unavailable when using languages other than English. (39781553)
- ThereisnodefaulticonforRPBroadcastPickerView. (38813581)
Safari & WebKit:
- Rotating the device while viewing a PDF in Safari might prevent the PDF from scrolling or maximizing layout width. (39794462)
- App usage data isn't removed after an app has been deleted. (39428587)
- Screen Time settings don't sync between devices; however, usage data is synced. (39660477)
- Usage breakdown by app is unavailable in iOS 12 beta. (39697268)
- Users might receive multiple Screen Time Weekly Report notifications. (40401895)
- Apps and Websites might be disabled even after Screen Time is disabled. (40656766)
- Some child iCloud accounts might not report usage data back to the parent's device. (40749009)
- Siri might produce unexpected responses to "Where is my..." queries. (39531873)
- Assigning a value to a parameter which begins with a capital letter throws NSUnknownKeyException. (40464710)
- When performing a shortcut in Siri, custom responses won't be included in the confirmation dialog text which Siri reads. (40562557)
- PresentingaUIImagePickerControllermightcausetheapptobeterminatedwitha privacy violation if the app does not include the NSMicrophoneUsageDescription key in its Info.plist. (40490417)
New issues that appear in dev beta 2 and public beta 1 are bolded below.
- The Weather widget isn't functional in iOS 12 beta 2. (41096139)
- Updating from iOS 10.2 and earlier to iOS 12 beta 2 via iTunes is not supported. (41215257) — Workaround: Update your device OTA to iOS 12 beta 2. Or, first update your device to iOS 11.4 via iTunes or OTA, then use iTunes to update to iOS 12 beta 2.
- Universal Links might not open the expected target app. Please submit a bug report if you experience this problem.
- Netflix might unexpectedly quit when downloading a video. (40653033)
- Twitter might display a blank login screen. (40910390)
- Taobao might unexpectedly quit on launch. (40958373)
- Skype might unexpectedly quit after logging in. (39666451)
- Notification action buttons might become illegible when Increase Contrast settings are enabled. (41050794)
- The route map for a workout might be unavailable. (40008565)
- Playback might not pause when only one of the AirPods is removed from your ears. (40824029)
- Certain USDZ models loaded in Safari might not render thumbnail images. (40252307)
- SMS and Phone Call spam classification extensions don't load and display a black screen. (41018290)
- To enable CallKit extensions, it might be necessary to quit and relaunch Phone, Messages, or Settings apps. (39548788, 39885031)
- CarPlay might not connect to certain vehicles. (40494430)
- Various CoreGraphics calls have been hardened against continuing with invalid parameters. In iOS 12 beta, these calls may now return NULL or return early. (38344690)
- When layers are quantized <8-bits or with a lookup-table, users may encounter issues in deconvolution and recurrent layers. (40632252) — Workaround: Use only linear 8-bit quantization on these layers.
- Models with flexible input sizes may unexpectedly reject an input using the default size displayed in Xcode's type field. (40632323) — Workaround: Supply a non-default size input on first prediction call.
- Inviting iOS 11 users who have multiple email addresses associated with their Apple ID to a home might not succeed. (41033550) — Workaround: Send the invitation to a different email address or phone number associated with the Apple ID of the iOS 11 user.
- The navigation button isn't present in the Share Options sheet while using the Add People feature. (40368764)
- Certain languages may exhibit clipped or misaligned layout. (40420329)
- Certain languages may display unlocalized text. (40420422)
- WhenaqueueTransactionisperformedonapplicationQueuePlayertomodify the position of a song, the queue returns unchanged. (39401344)
- AsongcannotbeaddedtoaplaylistusingtheaddItemWithProductIDAPI. (40508800)
Phone & FaceTime:
- Group FaceTime calls cannot be initiated between iOS 12 beta 2 and the first iOS 12 beta release. (39873802) — Workaround: Users should update to iOS 12 beta 2.
- Automatic enlargement of the speaker's tile during a Group FaceTime call is not enabled while using external headphones. (40615683) — Workaround: Use the built-in speaker of your iOS device.
- If a user attempts to enable a SIM PIN the iOS device will lose cellular service. (40958280) — Workaround: Restart the iOS device or remove and reinsert the SIM Card.
- Some FaceTime video calls might be interrupted by a 'poor connection' message. (41033989) — Workaround: Disconnect the call and try reconnecting.
- FaceTime might unexpectedly quit on launch. (41189126) — Workaround: Use Siri to place a FaceTime call.
- iPod touch (6th generation), iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPad Air support only audio (no video) during Group FaceTime calls in iOS 12 beta.
- In iOS 12 beta, Camera Effects in Messages is available only on iPhone SE and iPhone 6s or later and is unavailable on iPad. Camera Effects in FaceTime is available only on iPhone 7 or later and is unavailable on iPad.
- Wi-Fi calls might end unexpectedly when transitioning from Wi-Fi to cellular while on the T-Mobile network. (39251828)
- Voicemail notifications might be inconsistent and not appear when the device is locked. (39826861)
- Broadcasting will be enabled in a future release. (40342264)
Safari & WebKit:
- ViewingWalletpassesinSFSafariViewControllermightbeunavailable. (40415649) — Workaround: View the pass in Safari.
- Important: All Screen Time settings will be reset after updating to iOS 12 beta 2. Users must reactivate and reconfigure Screen Time to continue using this feature.
- When Family Sharing is enabled for an iCloud account, only family members designated Parent/Guardian may disable Screen Time on their device.
- To enable a Restrictions Passcode on a Child device where the Child has enabled Screen Time, the Parent/Guardian must first disable Screen Time on the Child device and reenable Screen Time from the Parent/Guardian device.
- If a Child account wishes not to share Screen Time usage with Parent/Guardian accounts, they should either become a Parent/Guardian or leave the iCloud family. (40675329)
- When 'Ask For More' is enabled on a Child device, entering the passcode on the Child device to approve more time still results in a prompt on the Parent/Guardian device.
- When 'Ask For More' is not enabled on a Child device, tapping 'Ignore Limit' prompts for the Screen Time passcode. (41060009)
- "Picked Up Phone" statistics might be inflated due to data syncing from other devices signed into the same iCloud account. (39917173)
- Screen Time website usage for a child won't be displayed on the parent's device, but can be read on the child's device. (40218447)
- The default Always Allowed apps won't be allowed in Downtime until after tapping Settings > Screen Time > Always Allowed to refresh the list of apps. (40320173)
- Modifying Time for an App Limit overwrites customized days without warning. (40668188)
- Use only numbers when creating a Screen Time passcode or it might become impossible to enter the passcode. (40671666)
- Shortcutsdonatedwithimagescreatedusingthe+INImageimageWithURL:API won't display an image. (40623457) — Workaround: Use +INImage imageWithImageData:
- When recording a custom Shortcuts phrase, the user might not be able to tap Done to save the Shortcut. (40862775)
- When a user connects a playback device such as headphones, the Media Player UI might not display artwork. (40989415) — Workaround: Shortcuts developers may verify their images using the Developer switch in Settings > Developer > Display Recent Shortcuts.
- When Siri's language is set to Chinese, Japanese, or Korean it isn't possible to set up "Hey Siri". (41188020) — Workaround: Set up Hey Siri before updating to iOS 12 beta 2, or set up Hey Siri using a different device signed into the same iCloud account.
- Messages might not launch when tapping on message content. (39941268) — Workaround: Exit Siri and launch Messages.
- Adding shortcuts to Siri might fail for shortcuts with images in PDF format. (40395673) — Workaround: Use another image format.
- InSwift,theshortcutpropertyofINVoiceShortcutmustbeaccessedas _shortcut. (40418400)
- Siri Suggestions for Shortcuts are enabled on iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4. (40669231)
- Voice Memos might not sync between devices even when enabled via Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Voice Memos. (39701488)
- Voice Memos don't sync to iTunes. (40346169)
The new iOS 12, as a whole, has some pretty amazing features for iPhone users. There's a new Measure app for measuring real-world objects, there's Siri shortcuts for getting things done even faster, and a new "Instant Tuning" feature that makes it easier to adjust notifications for apps. And those are just a few things iOS 12 offers.
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.