Just after a month of testing, iOS 12.1.3 has been released for iPhones. Like the previous iOS 12.1.2 update, there's not much to get excited about. There are no new features discovered yet, but there are a few fixes for issues with photos in Messages, imperfect pics when using the share sheet, and disconnecting CarPlay.
To download iOS 12.1.3 on your iPhone, open Settings, tap "General," then "Software Update," and follow the instructions on-screen to install the latest update. If you have "Automatic Updates" enabled, you can skip the manual update and just wait until iOS installs the update automatically.
Here are the main fixes in Apple's release notes:
- Fixes an issue in Messages that could impact scrolling through photos in the Details view
- Addresses an issue where photos could have striped artifacts after being sent from the Share Sheet
- Fixes an issue that may cause audio distortion when using external audio input devices on iPad Pro (2018)
- Resolves an issue that could cause certain CarPlay systems to disconnect from iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
There's also a few fixes for those of you who own HomePods:
- Fixes an issue that could cause HomePod to restart
- Addresses an issue that could cause Siri to stop listening
As for security issues, Apple has patched 22 issues with iOS and its own apps, including fixes for Bluetooth, FaceTime, Keyboard, Safari, and WebKit vulnerabilities. You can view them all in detail on Apple's security update.
Over the course of the iOS 12.1.3 beta, Apple resolved other issues as well, which aren't stated in the official release notes. But there's no reason to believe these issues aren't fixed in the final release as well.
The only beta issue resolved for iPhones that should also apply in the stable release is a fix for inaccessible interface elements when using VoiceOver in the "Electrocardiogram (ECG)" and "Irregular Heart Rhythm Notification" sections in the Health app (Health Data –> Heart).
With iOS 12.1.3 finally here, we expect Apple to issue the newest beta software at any time. Whether that software will be iOS 12.1.4 or iOS 12.2 remains to be seen.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: