Is Apple trying to set a record for the highest number of updates within a two-week period? You wouldn't be blamed for thinking so. Just eight days ago, Apple publicly released iOS 13.0 for all compatible iPhones. Then, just five days later, Apple seeded iOS 13.1 with 22 new features to boot. Now, just three days into 13.1's tenure, Apple has released yet another update, iOS 13.1.1.
As indicated by the "0.01" in its name, iOS 13.1.1 is a minor update. That means fewer features and more fixes for bugs. Key patches here include a fix for an issue which granted full access to third-party keyboards, even when you had "full access" disabled. If your iPhone won't back up, Reminders syncs slowly, or your battery drains too fast, you should see those issues go away after updating to iOS 13.1.1.
iOS 13.1.1 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone. This update:
- Fixes issues that could prevent iPhone restoring from backup
- Addresses an issue that could cause battery to drain more quickly
- Fixes an issue that could impact recognition of Siri requests on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- Resolves a problem where Safari search suggestions may re-enable after turning them off
- Addresses an issue that could cause Reminders to sync slowly
- Fixes a security issue for third-party keyboard apps
- For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
As for the security content in 13.1.1, this is what Apple lists:
iOS 13.1.1 and iPadOS 13.1.1
Released September 27, 2019
Available for: iPhone 6s and later, iPad Air 2 and later, iPad mini 4 and later, and iPod touch 7th generation
Impact: Third party app extensions may not receive the correct sandbox restrictions
Description: A logic issue applied the incorrect restrictions. This issue was addressed by updating the logic to apply the correct restrictions.
To download and update to iOS 13.1.1, head to Settings –> General –> Software Updates. Here, follow the on-screen instructions to begin the installation process. If you have "Automatic Updates" enabled, you can simply allow your iPhone to update overnight, so long as it's plugged into power and connected to Wi-Fi.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions.