There's no doubt iOS 13 has dominated the talk around the Apple community this month. Since the announcement and release of the first developer beta, we iPhone users have had a treasure trove of new features and changes to explore and discuss. Now the fun continues with iOS 13 dev beta 2. Who's ready to start up the conversation all over again?
Keep in mind, this isn't the public beta. So far, Apple has only released the iOS 13 beta for developers. If you're thinking to yourself, "Wait, I'm not a developer, but I'm running iOS 13 ..." that's because Apple only gives direct access to the iOS 13 IPSW file to developer accounts. You likely have a friend who is a developer or you took an extra step to find the IPSW file somewhere on the World Wide Web.
This newest beta update comes with quite a lot of changes. Right off the bat, beta 2 adds Portrait Mode lighting control and the new High-Key Mono Portrait Mode, two features that were left out of dev beta 1. But that's not all. Here are all the new features we know about with dev beta 2:
- Unique Tapback sounds, one for each Tapback.
- New "Send Replies Without Confirmation" option when crafting messages with Siri.
- High-Key Mono Portrait Mode.
- Portrait Mode lightning control.
- Screen Time Downtime settings will sync to your Apple Watch.
- Apple Maps has a refreshed on boarding screen.
- "Select All" is back in Mail.
- Four new Memoji stickers.
- New Parallax toggle when choosing Wallpapers.
- Calendar has new color and interface changes.
- Files now supports connecting to SMB and APFS.
- Notes app has new selections for Notes and checklists
- Safari now has a "Show Link Preview" toggle in settings.
- New sound when accessing contextual menus via long-press.
- Voice Control has an icon in the top-left corner when active.
- Refreshed "Now Playing" screen in CarPlay.
You'll also find a laundry list of bug fixes, from Books and CarPlay, to Maps and Messages. Check out the full release notes for iOS 13 dev beta 2 below:
General - Known Issues
- For a period of time after updating to iOS & iPadOS 13 beta, tapping links might cause apps to become unresponsive. (51222428)
- Wallpapers might not display correctly. (45300725)
- In certain cases, the Wi-Fi icon might not be displayed in the status bar even though Wi-Fi is on. (51512334)
- The EU volume limit warning might not appear when exceeding the maximum volume limit. (51068683)
- Following an update to iOS & iPadOS 13, users with large photo libraries might need to wait for an extended period while their device displays the Apple logo with a progress bar. (51147659)
General - Resolved Issues
- AirPlay mirroring output produces the expected results. (51116513)
- You don't need to rotate your iPad to its landscape orientation to edit your widgets. (49162249)
- Face ID no longer stops working unexpectedly. (51205195)
- You can sync or update a device running iOS & iPadOS 13 from a Mac that isn't running macOS 10.15 beta or Xcode 11 beta. (51325292)
- The UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend key is no longer supported in iOS & iPadOS 13. Update your apps to handle modern multitasking. (43958234)
Accessibility - Resolved Issues
- When Reduce Transparency is enabled, AVPlayerViewController displays video correctly. (51144377)
Activity - Known Issues
- Activity might quit unexpectedly when you tap on VO2 max in Trends. (51539836)
Activity - Resolved Issues
- Activity no longer quits unexpectedly when viewing Trends on the last day of the month. (51299302)
- Friend Activity Sharing history reliably lists accurate calorie counts. (51265705)
App Store - Known Issues
- SKStoreProductViewController currently returns a blank page. (50955943)
Apple CryptoKit - Known Issues
- When using the SecureEnclave API with access control set on keys, users might not be prompted to authenticate. This might cause subsequent operations requiring authentication to fail. (51279188)
Audio - New Features
- Voice Processing mode can now be enabled on AVAudioEngine. (50906329)
- New AVAudioNode types can be used to wrap a user-defined block for sending or receiving data in real time.
- A new method is available for an AVAudioEngine-based app to retrieve a list of all nodes attached to an AVAudioEngine instance.
- A new rendering mode in AVAudioEnvironmentNode selects the best spatial audio rendering algorithm automatically based on the output device.
- A new AVAudioSession property allows system sounds and haptics to play while the session actively uses audio input.
- A new enumeration, AVAudioSession.PromptStyle, informs apps which style of voice prompt they should play based on other audio activity in the system.
- AVAudioSession.RouteSharingPolicy now permits apps to specify route-sharing policies so their audio and video routes to the same location as AirPlay.
- Audio Unit Extensions now support user presets that are available across all host applications.
Audio - Resolved Issues
- Real–time audio apps no longer exhibit audio artifacts. (50870425)
Audio - Deprecations
- The OpenAL framework is deprecated and remains present for compatibility purposes. Transition to AVAudioEngine for spatial audio functionality.
- AUGraph is deprecated in favor of AVAudioEngine.
- Inter-App audio is deprecated. Use Audio Units for this functionality moving forward.
- Carbon component-based Audio Units are deprecated and support will be removed in a future release.
- Legacy Core Audio HAL audio hardware plug-ins are no longer supported. Use audio server plug-ins for audio drivers moving forward.
Audio Sharing - New Features
- Audio sharing is compatible with AirPods (1st generation or later) and PowerBeats Pro. iPhone 8 or later, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation or later), iPad Pro 11-inch, iPad Pro 10.5-inch, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad mini (5th generation), or iPod touch (7th generation or later) is required. (51331268)
Audio Sharing - Resolved Issues
- Initiating a phone call using Siri from one device doesn't result in the call being routed to the other device. (50792780)
- If an audio device disconnects unexpectedly during audio sharing, it reconnects properly. (51037861)
- Adjusting the volume level during audio sharing behaves as expected. (50967849)
AVFoundation - New Features
- AVFoundation now supports encoding video with alpha channels using HEVC. Videos encoded in this manner are broadly supported in AVFoundation APIs, and by Safari within web pages. Technical details of the format can be found in the Interoperability Profile specification. (8045917)
AVFoundation - Resolved Issues
- Long-form video apps that use the AVInitialRouteSharingPolicy Info.plist key no longer exhibit inconsistent AirPlay route suggestions. (50924593)
Books - Known Issues
- Books might quit unexpectedly while browsing a PDF. (51108267)
- A predictive text bar might appear unexpectedly when reading certain books. (51584308)
- Books stored in iCloud Drive might take several minutes to appear in your Library. (51435740, 50776390)
- After upgrading to iOS 13 beta, locally-downloaded cloud items might move back to iCloud. (51306790)
Books - Resolved Issues
- Books and PDFs imported into the Books app upload to iCloud Drive as expected. (47124224)
- Books stored in iCloud Drive appear properly in Books. (48685806)
CarPlay - Known Issues
- The garage door button might not appear in the CarPlay Dashboard. (50275274)
- The map style for navigation apps might not change dynamically between dark and light modes. (50986173)
CarPlay - Resolved Issues
- The state shown on the garage door button might be incorrect when it first appears in the CarPlay Dashboard. (49282265)
- Images within navigation apps display at the expected size. (49380030)
- You can now swipe the Maps screen to return to the Home screen. (50855855)
- iOS no longer displays a blank screen after using CarPlay. (51164072)
- You don't need to launch Maps before asking Siri for directions. (50860819)
Core Haptics - Known Issues
- By default, haptics are disabled when microphone recording begins. You can override this by setting the AVAudioSession property allowHapticsAndSystemSoundsDuringRecording to true before activating its audio session. (25811898)
- Events — such as audioContinuous, hapticContinuous, and audioCustom — can't be resumed during the event; no output occurs for that event, only for subsequent events. This applies to playback at a specific time offset, seeking, and resuming. (29274583)
- When audio generated by Core Haptics is played using an audio session category or mode that normally supports Bluetooth or wired headphone output, no audio plays. (29939183, 50905288)
- CHHapticDynamicParameter instances with nonzero relative times that are sent as part of a sendParameters(_:atTime:) call on a CHHapticAdvancedPatternPlayer with the atTime parameter set to 0.0 are incorrectly applied at the beginning of the CHHapticPattern, instead of the expected nonzero relative time. This doesn't occur on a CHHapticPatternPlayer. (46316890)
- Both vibrations generated through AudioServicesPlaySystemSound(_:) and vibration patterns generated through the user-created tap-to-vibrate UI are attenuated when compared to prior versions of iOS. (47448156)
- Parameter Curves are not supported with a CHHapticAdvancedPatternPlayer, only a CHHapticPatternPlayer. No error is generated when a CHHapticPattern containing a Parameter Curve is passed to a CHHapticAdvancedPatternPlayer. (47891515)
- Brief audio distortion occurs when starting a Playback category app such as Music in the background. For example, brief distortion occurs if you start the app from Control Center while Core Haptics audio playback using a playAndRecord audio session is already underway. (48121467)
- Following any decompression to uncompressed floating-point samples, the total limit on all audioCustom resources per process is eight megabytes. (48659023)
- Multiple overlapping Parameter Curves for the same CHHapticDynamicParameterID might result in playback artifacts. (50026384)
- The default value for audioBrightnessControl should be 0, not 1. (50310604)
- Creating a hapticContinuous event with an attackTime of 1.0, and then dynamically increasing the attack time by 1.0, causes erroneous behavior. The expected behavior is the attack time should saturate at 1.0; therefore increasing the attack on an event that already has maximum attack (1.0) should have no effect. (50386282)
- The maximum duration for a hapticContinuous haptic event is 30 seconds. Events exceeding this limit can be constructed and accepted by CHHapticPatternPlayer, but haptic playback will fade out after 30 seconds. (51322525)
Core Haptics - Resolved Issues
- Starting a CHHapticPatternPlayer multiple times properly restarts playback rather than stacking multiple playbacks together. (50878861)
Core Image - New Features
- The init(imageURL:options:) and init(imageData:options:) initializers no longer support RAW version 5 and earlier. Version 6 and later remain supported. (50911303)
- Added new APIs for instantiating and modifying the built-in Core Image filters.
- The CICoreMLModel filter is enhanced to support models with an input or output of type MLFeatureType.multiArray.
- Metal CIKernel instances support arguments with arbitrarily structured data.
- Metal CIKernel instances support returning a group of 2 × 2 pixels.
- The integer values of CIFormat symbols, such as ARGB8, have changed to a new set of values that are consistent across platforms. The former values remain supported for backward compatibility; however, you should avoid dependancies on specific numerical values.
Core Media - Known Issues
- Media services might unexpectedly quit with the message "AVFoundation error AVErrorMediaServicesWereReset -11819" when you play a low-latency HLS stream if the network link doesn't negotiate TCP ECN. (51690639)
Core Media - Resolved Issues
- You no longer experience interruptions when attempting to play Amazon Prime Video. (46791204)
- Support for low-latency HLS is now available in iOS & iPadOS 13 beta. (51241703)
Core ML - Known Issues
- In the MLRecommender model, the exclude and restrict parameters are required, but they should be optional. For default behavior, pass in an empty list for restrict and the list of query items for exclude. (50348777)
Device Management - Known Issues
- After completing User Enrollment you might be prompted to reenter your Managed Apple ID credentials when viewing account details in Settings > Passwords & Accounts. (48605466)
- After completing User Enrollment, Reminders can't be enabled for the Managed Apple ID. (48820760)
- Users can't accept an invitation to App and Book Assignments. (50832260)
- MDM queries might return unmanaged data, such as profiles and certificates installed using Apple Configurator. (50857952)
- On a User Enrollment, you might be unable to install enterprise apps after removing and then reenrolling in MDM. (50959631)
- The Enterprise iCloud Drive will be inaccessible from managed apps when the managed "Open-in" restriction is enabled on a User Enrollment. (51016087)
Device Management - Resolved Issues
- MDM servers no longer return a server error instead of a license not found error when installing Volume Purchase Program (VPP) apps without a license assigned. (50905338)
- Upon User Enrollment, Notes show the proper data for the enterprise account without needing to restart the device. (49833240)
- MDM can install enterprise apps on Chinese devices before the App Store is approved to use WLAN connections. (50785136)
- Installing apps using MDM with purchase method set to none doesn't fail If the app isn't already in the user's purchase history. (50909360)
Files - Known Issues
- Using Files in Schoolwork isn't currently supported. (51588407, 51277263)
Files - Resolved Issues
- The layout of the documents browser no longer ends up in an inconsistent state. (51160246)
- Apps appear as expected within Files. (50539041)
- Connecting to SMB servers from Files and from apps using UIDocumentBrowserViewController doesn't produce an error message. (50987682)
- APFS formatted drives are now supported. (51071338)
Find My - Known Issues
- When performing an action in Find My that generates an email, you might see references to the Find My Friends and Find My iPhone apps. (51123613)
- The "Notify when found" feature is currently unavailable.
- Apple Pay cards might remain suspended after a device exits Lost Mode.
- While iOS & iPadOS 13 remains in beta, offline-finding capability is limited.
Find My - Resolved Issues
The Repeat Every Time option for location notifications is now available. (51271728)
Home Screen - Known Issues
- Dragging app icons from Spotlight currently has no effect. Instead, drag app icons from the Dock. (49004339)
- Some items in Quick Action menus have unexpectedly large icons. (50561570)
- When viewing widgets for the first time after restarting your device, the Show More toggles might not appear until you exit and reopen the widget view. (50966601)
Home Screen - Resolved Issues
- Tapping on a Continuity Handoff suggestion while the suggested app is in the foreground results in the proper Continuity Handoff suggestion. (47974821)
- The Files document popover on the Home screen expands and scrolls correctly. (49087149)
- On the home screen, you can adjust playback volume while a track is paused. (50389611)
- When using right-to-left languages, opening a folder from the Home screen that contains multiple pages of apps launches to the rightmost page, as expected. (50365467)
- While Airplane Mode is enabled, you're no longer prompted to turn Wi-Fi on even though it's already on. (51080243)
- When you drag content into Split View or Slide Over, targetContentIdentifier and UISceneActivationConditions predicates are used to select an appropriate window scene. (50784657)
- If the Quick Action menu is invoked on an app that has a badged icon, the badge doesn't layer behind the icon until the Quick Action menu is dismissed. (48374339)
iCloud - Known Issues
- The content of folders inside an iCloud Shared Folder might not be available to other users viewing your shared folder. (51591135)
- The iCloud Drive section in Settings > General > iPhone Storage might inaccurately represent the current state of files on your device. (50362095)
- Pages, Numbers, and Keynote documents in shared folders can only be opened on macOS and iOS. iWork documents in shared folders are currently unavailable from iCloud.com. (50738067)
- When creating a new Pages, Numbers, or Keynote document in a shared folder, you might see the message: "Couldn't connect to iCloud." (50827963) Workaround: Close and reopen the document.
- When manually initiating iCloud backup from Settings > iCloud Account > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Back Up Now, the progress bar doesn't complete. However, this doesn't mean that the backup isn't complete. Once the text below the progress bar changes from "Backing Up" to "Updating iCloud," it indicates that the backup completed. However, the iCloud sync doesn't complete due an issue with notes syncing with iCloud. Your notes might not be up to date on iCloud compared to the notes on your device. (51030266)
iCloud - Resolved Issues
- You don't receive an error when trying to sign into iCloud while attempting to restore from a backup. (49716545)
- Cloud content appears without needing to open the Files app at least once after updating to iOS & iPadOS 13 beta. (50903924)
Keyboards - Known Issues
- You might be unable to disable QuickPath typing. (50989321)
Keyboards - Resolved Issues
- When multiple keyboard languages are enabled, tapping blue underlined dictated text to correct it presents text replacement suggestions in the expected language. (50777944)
Localization - Known Issues
- Devices set to use certain languages might exhibit clipped or misaligned layout. (51068688)
- Devices set to use certain languages might display unlocalized text. (47765173, 51197936, 51270878)
Location - Known Issues
- Requesting Always authorization and receiving Provisional Always authorization is incorrectly delivered to the CLLocationManagerDelegate as CLAuthorizationStatus.authorizedWhenInUse. (51475789)
Mail - New Features
- Ignore Blocked Senders can now be enabled in Settings > Mail. The blocked contacts list is shared with Messages, FaceTime, and Phone. (50775961)
- Mail no longer quits unexpectedly when turning on Voice Control or when using VoiceOver, Switch Control, or Full Keyboard Access to reply to an email. (51023095)
Mail - Known Issues
- You might be unable to share an image directly from an email. Instead, forward the email with attachments. (50538771)
Maps - Known Issues
- You might be unable to navigate from an origin location that's different than your current location when a watch running watchOS 6 beta is paired to your iPhone running iOS 13 beta. (47399367)
- When sharing a trip ETA, the receiver might not see the blue route line displayed on the map. (50904902) Workaround: Tap to view the shared trip from the Maps Home screen rather than from the Notification Center banner.
- If the current viewing location isn't displayed on the map when using Picture in Picture mode, tap Done and try again. (51070503)
Maps - Resolved Issues
- Tapping a maps.apple.com URL opens Maps rather than Safari. (51095623)
- If Picture in Picture loads properly when you use Look Around. (50669005)
- Maps no longer quits unexpectedly when selecting a new time within the transit schedule view. (50974490)
- When you use Look Around in Picture in Picture mode, tapping a point of interest on the map behaves correctly. (51096818)
Memoji - Resolved Issues
- The Memoji editor works properly outside of the Messages app. (50968307)
Messages - Resolved Issues
- The Messages icon no longer displays an exclamation mark before you first open it. (48490814)
- The Messages section in Settings > General > iPhone Storage shows an accurate size and the details view displays the proper content to view or delete. (45913540)
Music - Known Issues
- Music might appear paused even though audio is playing. (49926478)
- You might be unable to share or tap album and artist links. (49675331)
- When reordering songs in Up Next, Music might quit unexpectedly. (51639471)
Networking - New Features
- All URLSessionTask instances with a GET HTTP method that contain a body now produce the error NSURLErrorDataLengthExceedsMaximum. (46025234)
Networking - Known Issues
- For a background-configuration URLSession, an HTTP Set-Cookie header sent from a server results in the client failing to send a HTTP Cookie header in subsequent requests. (47044416)
Networking - Deprecations
- Removed support for FTP and File URL schemes for Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC). HTTP and HTTPS are the only supported URL schemes for PAC. This affects all PAC configurations including, but not limited to, configurations set using Settings, System Preferences, Profiles, and URLSession APIs such as connectionProxyDictionary and CFNetworkExecuteProxyAutoConfigurationURL(::::). (28578280)
- The URLSession and NSURLConnection APIs no longer support SPDY. Servers should use HTTP 2 or HTTP 1.1. (43391641
- Your device might be unable to join certain hidden Wi-Fi networks. (51005457)
Notes - Known Issues
- Using search in Notes might produce unexpected results. (48238242)
Notes - Resolved Issues
- Notes sync reliably with iCloud. (51047383)
- Certain notes no longer become illegible when the Increase Contrast accessibility setting is enabled. (51188715)
PencilKit - Resolved Issues
- PKCanvasView uses the opacity and background color settings from Interface Builder. (50870664)
Phone and FaceTime - Known Issues
- When transitioning in and out of cellular service, the status bar might not accurately reflect the current connection state. (50821677)
- When upgrading to iOS 13 beta, you might be unable to enter your SIM PIN during the setup process. Instead, use Settings > Cellular > SIM PIN to unlock your SIM. (51593059)
Phone & FaceTime - Resolved Issues
- Wi-Fi calls no longer drop when transitioning from Wi-Fi to a cellular network. (50521720)
- When LTE is enabled for Voice & Data (VoLTE), the 2G or 3G cellular data switch isn't hidden. (50978364)
- Transferring calls between devices that share the same iCloud account works as expected. (51037256)
- During the initial setup of a device running iOS & iPadOS 13 beta, you no longer need to remove and reinsert the SIM card in order to reach the PIN entry prompt if SIM PIN is enabled. (50567332)
- Attempting to take a FaceTime Live Photo of another user during a Group FaceTime call doesn't cause the remote user to be disconnected from the call. (51197915)
Photos - Resolved Issues
- When Autoplay Videos and Live Photos are enabled in Settings > Photos, content no longer downloads using your cellular connection when your iOS device isn't connected to a Wi-Fi network. (47214673)
- Tapping a sharing suggestion in Photos consistently shares the photo. (51200976)
Podcasts - Known Issues
- Transcript search isn't currently available. (50425804)
- Podcast artwork might unexpectedly overlap other UI elements. (50859386)
RealityKit - Resolved Issues
- Objects no longer appear immediately at a destination when using any animation timing function other than linear() within move(to:relativeTo:duration:timingFunction:). (50999980)
Safari and WebKit - Known Issues
- Keyboard shortcuts might not work when using non-English language settings. (50979111)
Safari and WebKit - Resolved Issues
- Open tabs are preserved when performing a migration from one device to another. (50975729)
Screen Time - Known Issues
- Users can select "One more minute" multiple times per day instead of only once each time they reach the limit for an app. (48773803)
- If you enable Share Across Devices, Screen Time settings don't sync with iCloud until your iOS device is restarted. Any edits you make to your Screen Time settings on that device before restarting are lost. (50194586)
Screen Time - Resolved Issues
- Messages, FaceTime, and Phone enforce Screen Time's Communication Limits. (50876617, 51055350, 51055448)
Settings - Known Issues
- You might be unable to purchase cellular data plans on iPad. (51735832, 51737229)
Sign In with Apple - Known Issues
- Real User status is currently unavailable. Sign In with Apple provides a status for new accounts but the status might return unexpected results. (51765525)
Sign In with Apple - Resolved Issues
- Sign In with Apple no longer appears unexpectedly on unsupported sites. (50869308)
Siri - Known Issues
- When you edit an app's intent definition file and install the app, changes aren't immediately reflected in Shortcuts. (46645833) Workaround: Quit and relaunch Shortcuts after installing a new version of the app, or build and run the intents extension in Xcode, targeting the Shortcuts app.
- The supportsOnDeviceRecognition property always returns false the first time it's accessed. After a few seconds, accessing it again returns the correct value. (47822242)
- To properly support Announce Messages with Siri in your messaging app, add INSearchForMessagesIntentIdentifier to your notification category. (50462393)
- Shortcuts opened on iOS & iPadOS 13 beta are automatically upgraded and can no longer be opened on iOS 12. If a device with iOS 12 and a device with iOS 13 share an iCloud account, shortcuts might become unusable on the device running iOS 12. (50873839) Workaround: Disable iCloud Sync between devices running iOS & iPadOS 13 beta and devices running iOS 12.
- While using non-English languages, asking Siri to perform actions related to Reminders or Messages might cause the corresponding application to quit unexpectedly. (50952938)
- Currently, the only supported response for INSearchForMediaIntent is INSearchForMediaIntentResponseCode.continueInApp. (51010311)
- Shortcuts-enabled media apps incorrectly appear to have SiriKit Media support and subsequently produce an error. (51010590)
- When Announce Messages with Siri is enabled, music playback might be interrupted when a message is read. (51243455)
Siri - Resolved Issues
- Siri reliably performs actions related to Mail messages. (48140181)
- Shortcuts added to Siri in iOS 12 appear as expected after upgrading to iOS & iPadOS 13 beta. (50957532)
- You can create a reminder at a location that isn't a labeled address, such the address labeled Home in your Me card. (50487978)
- Shortcuts are available when using Siri on Apple Watch, HomePod, and CarPlay. (50782908)
- Shortcuts synced to a device running iOS & iPadOS 13 beta from iOS 12 using iCloud Sync behave correctly. (50557374)
SwiftUI - Known Issues
- Text in previews in Xcode might not switch to the correct appearance in Dark Mode. (51486412)
- Return types for View modifier methods include complex generic types. In a future release, these methods will return simpler types. (46140669)
- The tabItemLabel(_:) modifier doesn't accept @ViewBuilder closures. Workaround: Wrap the views you pass to the modifier in a VStack:
- Image instances don't use resizing information configured in asset catalogs. Configure the size of an image using the resizable(capInsets:resizingMode:) modifier instead. (49114577)
- A ScrollView doesn't always size itself as expected for its content. (49204262) Workaround: Size the view that's inside the ScrollView by applying the frame(width:height:alignment:) modifier to the inner view. (49204262)
SwiftUI - Resolved Issues
- The Form view is now available. (50871134)
- Tabs in TabbedView instances appear as expected when you use them with a NavigationView. (49958869)
- The possible values that you can select from a Picker can now be accessed from UI automation. (50679414)
Third-Party Apps - Known Issues
- You might be unable to stream to a Chromecast device. (51334673)
- Gmail might display "Can't load the page" when you tap the "View entire message" link. (51451630)
- Some apps might be unable to backup or restore data to iCloud Drive. (50784901)
- Dragging and dropping an NSUserActivity-backed drag item currently doesn't create a new scene. Workaround: Set a URL on the drag item instead of using NSUserActivity. (51418055)
- WhatsApp might quit unexpectedly when forwarding messages to a user who isn't in the recent contacts list. (45416129)
- WhatsApp users might receive duplicate notifications or notifications without content. (50537131)
- Didi might not display map data. (48386075)
- Audio might not play in Instagram stories. (50433755)
- The Wells Fargo app might quit unexpectedly when opened or during sign-in. (51085418)
UIKit - New Features
- The UITableViewCell class no longer changes the backgroundColor or isOpaque properties of the contentView and any of its subviews when cells become highlighted or selected. If you are setting an opaque backgroundColor on any subviews of the cell inside (and including) the contentView, the appearance when the cell becomes highlighted or selected might be affected. The simplest way to resolve any issues with your subviews is to ensure their backgroundColor is set to nil or clear, and their opaque property is false. However, if needed you can override the setHighlighted(_:animated:) and setSelected(_:animated:) methods to manually change these properties on your subviews when moving to or from the highlighted and selected states. (13955336)
- Since iOS 8, using UISearchController with UINavigationController has required setting the definesPresentationContext property of the top view controller to true. Failure to do so leads to subtle bugs that can be hard to detect and debug. Starting in iOS & iPadOS 13 beta, if a view controller's navigationItem has a non-nil searchController, when the view controller is shown in a navigation controller, UINavigationController automatically sets that view controller's definesPresentationContext property to true. If you are targeting earlier versions of iOS, set this property before your search controller becomes active. (31338934)
- The UIRefreshControl class no longer directly modifies the contentInset of its scroll view. Instead, its adjustments to the content inset will be incorporated into the scroll view's adjustedContentInset. The only exception is when the scroll view's contentInsetAdjustmentBehavior is set to UIScrollView.ContentInsetAdjustmentBehavior.never, in which case the UIRefreshControl instance will modify the contentInset directly as it did in previous releases. (35866834)
- If you implement self-sizing cells in a UITableView by overriding sizeThatFits(_:) without using Auto Layout, the height you return is interpreted as the desired height for the contentView of the cell, and UITableViewCell automatically adds any additional height needed to allow room for the cell separator. If you implement manual self-sizing this way, the cell's contentView width is guaranteed to be accurate for you to use in manual layout calculations when sizeThatFits(_:) is called on the UITableViewCell. (39742612)
- Trait environments, such as views and view controllers, now have their traitCollection property populated with traits during initialization. These initial traits represent a prediction of the ultimate traits that the trait environment will receive when it gets added to the hierarchy. Because the traits that are populated during initialization are just a prediction, they might differ from the traits that are received once actually in the hierarchy. Therefore, when possible you should wait to perform work that uses the traitCollection until the view, or view controller's view, has moved into the hierarchy — meaning window returns a non-nil value — so that you don't have to throw away any work done using the predicted traits if the actual traits are different. The best time to use the traitCollection is during layout, such as inside layoutSubviews(), viewWillLayoutSubviews(), or viewDidLayoutSubviews().
- The traitCollectionDidChange(_:) method is only called when the value of a trait changes. Importantly, because the trait collection is now initialized to a prediction of the ultimate traits in the destination hierarchy, when the initial predicted traits match the ultimate traits in the hierarchy, traitCollectionDidChange(_:) will not be called when the trait environment is added to the hierarchy. Because traitCollectionDidChange(_:) is intended to be an invalidation callback to notify you that one or more traits changed, audit your existing implementations of this method, as well as the UIContentContainer method willTransition(to:with:), for places where you might have been relying on it to trigger initial setup. The best place to lazily perform work that uses the traitCollection is inside one of the layoutSubviews methods discussed above, but remember that these layout methods are called any time layout occurs so be sure to avoid repeating work when you don't need to. (46818941)
- You can now enable debug logging to easily see when traitCollectionDidChange(_:) or willTransition(to:with:) is called on your own classes. Turn on the logging by using the following launch argument: -UITraitCollectionChangeLoggingEnabled YES. You might want to temporarily disable the Main Thread Checker while using this launch argument and running your app from Xcode to avoid extra log messages for unrelated classes. (47858564)
- The UITableViewCell class's contentView property is always laid out edge-to-edge with adjacent accessories, both on the leading and the trailing side. This streamlines the layout code so developers who want the correct default offset no longer have to align their content with the content view border or the layout margin depending on whether there is an accessory on the trailing side or not. You should now always lay out their code on the layout margins of the cell's content view to get the default system insets. These insets will be adjusted automatically based on the accessories visible in the cell to match the system's default spacing. (48214114)
- You can now invoke a custom initializer from a creation block that's passed through instantiateInitialViewController(creator:) or instantiateViewController(identifier:creator:). This makes it possible for you to initialize view controllers with additional context and arguments, while taking advantage of defining them in a storyboard through Interface Builder. A custom controller initializer must call its super.init(coder:) method and pass the coder argument that it receives through the creation block. (48313869)
UIKit - Known Issues
- Specifying UIWindowScene.DestructionRequestOptions in Swift is currently unavailable. (51036709)
Voice Control - Known Issues
- After you enable Voice Control for the first time, resources begin downloading in the background. Once the download completes, you will receive a notification that Voice Control is ready for use. (50788121)
Voice Memos - Known Issues
- Voice Memos synced from iCloud might not play. (51492047)
Watch - Known Issues
- Complications might disappear from Apple Watch after updating to iOS 13 beta if your watch isn't running watchOS 6 beta. (50507942)
- If you've recently reinstalled a built-in app and its settings don't appear in the Apple Watch app, quit and relaunch the Apple Watch app. (51689111)
Watch - Resolved Issues
- If you pair more than one Apple Watch with your iPhone, you can now switch the active connection once again. (51271140)
Xcode - New Features
- CAMetalLayer is now available in the Simulator. (45101325)
Xcode - Known Issues
- Calls to SKProductsRequest might fail in the simulator. Instead, test on a device. (50875951)
- When running your app from Xcode, you might see console errors about UIKit classes that override the traitCollection getter. You can safely ignore these messages for system classes. If you see this error message for your own classes, it likely indicates a real issue for you to fix. (51651561)
- Swift interfaces for several new URLSession APIs are unavailable. (50517967
- To enable Dark Mode in Simulator, open Settings > Developer. (50699968)
- Changing the volume level in Simulator while a video is playing in Safari mutes the audio. (51207286)
Xcode - Resolved Issues
- You can reliably create new documents in the Simulator. (50443693)
- In the Simulator, Siri can be activated using the Hardware > Siri menu item. (48048890)
To download and update your iPhone to iOS 13 dev beta 2, you will first need to be a registered developer with a valid configuration profile. You'll then need to download the profile for beta 2 from Apple's developer's site, either via the iPhone in Safari or another browser. Your system will ask if you want to install the profile. Say "Allow," then "Install" the new profile from Settings –> General –> Profiles. Restart when prompted, then you can check for OTA updates in "Software Update" to download and install beta 2. )You can also just download the restore image like was needed for dev beta 1.)
- Full Instructions: How to Download & Install iOS 13 on Your iPhone Right Now
There is a slew of new features coming to iOS 13 this fall. System-wide dark mode is a personal favorite, but blocking robocalls, full webpage screenshots, and setting desktop view by default in Safari also impress.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: