If you're an iOS app developer, your Monday just got better; Apple just released iOS 12.2 developer beta 5 to your Software Updates today, March 11. This fifth beta includes a number of small UI changes and tweaks, and likely some degree of under-the-hood improvements and bug fixes.
Curiously, beta 5's release notes are identical to both beta 4's and beta 3's. While that might insinuate these three beta versions are the same, that isn't the case. Beta 4 included noticeable differences from beta 3, including a fresh News icon, a redesigned on-screen Apple TV remote and a new Apple TV remote tile in Control Center, among other changes.
Beta 5 mainly sports some small UI tweaks. You'll notice in the "About" page that "S" and "R" in iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR are written in small caps, there's now an outline around the News icon in Settings, and that News icon is used more throughout the News app, such as in the "Today" tab. In addition, it's likely that beta 5 includes minor bug fixes not mentioned in the release notes, and could even contain security patches to fix any vulnerabilities Apple found with beta 4.
You can check out the release notes for beta 5 — as well as betas 3 and 4 — below:
App Store - Promoting Your Subscriptions with New Offers
StoreKit now supports subscription offers in addition to introductory offers, so apps with auto-renewable subscriptions will soon be able to provide a discounted price for a specific duration for existing and previously subscribed customers. You will be able to use subscription offers to help win back subscribers who have canceled their subscriptions or promote an upgrade to another subscription at a special price. Customers can accept the offer even if they've already completed an introductory offer.
StoreKit introduces a new array of SKProductDiscount objects within the SKProduct class to display offers within your app to eligible customers. Add a new SKPaymentDiscount object within the SKPayment class to allow these offers to be accepted by the customer.
Apple Pay - Known Issues
- You might be unable to authenticate within Wallet after selecting a card. (44919900) Workaround: On an iPhone with Touch ID, double-click the Home button when your iPhone is locked then select the desired card in Wallet and authenticate before holding your iPhone near the reader. On iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, double-click the side button, select the desired card in Wallet, and authenticate with Face ID before holding your iPhone near the reader.
Cellular - Resolved Issues
- Resolved an issue that prevented prepaid data plan purchases while using cellular data. (47272516)
HealthKit - New Features
- High and low heart rate notifications and irregular heart rhythm notifications are now available as read-only category sample types. (46422154)
iCloud Photos - Resolved Issues
- Photos shared using Sharing Suggestions now load correctly. (47401696)
Lock Screen - Resolved Issues
- The device charge level no longer remains on the lock screen after removing the device from a charger. (47363913)
News - New Features
- Apple News will be available in Canada with iOS 12.2, and is now available for Canadian users on the developer beta. Apple News in Canada supports both English and French. Readers can access a bilingual experience when they follow a channel in a second language. Note: Publications in the beta do not reflect all content that will be available. Top Stories and Digests are not updated as frequently as they will be in the shipping product.
Siri - Resolved Issues
- Siri works in iOS simulators. (46681836)
To download and update your iPhone to iOS 12.2 dev beta 5, you will first need to be a registered developer with a valid configuration profile. If you have iOS 12's "Automatic Updates" enabled, you can let the software update overnight. To install right away, launch the Settings app, select "General," then "Software Update." Tap "Download and Install," then follow the on-screen prompts.
If you have been running the iOS 12.2 beta, you know Apple plans to release quite a few notable changes and features for the iPhone. Things are different across the board, from UI tweaks like a fresh News icon and a redesigned on-screen Apple TV remote, to larger additions like new Animoji, AirPlay 2 support among third-party TVs, and air quality controls in Weather.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: