Apple just released the third iOS 12.2 developer beta Tuesday, Feb. 19, fifteen days after the release of iOS 12.2 developer beta 2. Beta 3 fixes an issue with the lock screen, and reintroduces Group FaceTime to beta testers. Overall, iOS 12.2 hosts a wealth of new features as well as bug and security patches.
According to Apple, beta 3's biggest fix is solving an issue where the charge indicator would remain on the lock screen where the date would usually be, even after the iPhone was removed from power. However, Apple quietly added iOS 12.1.4's Group FaceTime patch to 12.2 beta 3, restoring limited Group FaceTime abilities to beta testers. While you still can't add people to group calls, you can start a call from a group chat.
Also new to 12.2 beta is a redesigned on-screen Apple TV remote; "News" has a new header, with the original logo removed from the top-right corner of the display; the "About" screen in Settings is slightly rearranged, grouping important data together.
App owners can also now start changing subscription pricing whenever they want with support for new subscription offers, which means recurring costs no longer have to be fixed or limited to deals only when first subscribing.
Apple released iOS 12.1.4 to the public last week, patching the infamous Group FaceTime security bug, but previous iOS 12.2 betas were left out. It's possible this update restores Group FaceTime to a secure position, but we can't confirm this yet.
The release notes for iOS 12.2 beta 3 are as follows:
App Store - Promoting Your Subscriptions with New Offers
StoreKit now supports subscription offers in addition to introductory offers, so apps with auto-renewable subscriptions will soon be able to provide a discounted price for a specific duration for existing and previously subscribed customers. You will be able to use subscription offers to help win back subscribers who have canceled their subscriptions or promote an upgrade to another subscription at a special price. Customers can accept the offer even if they've already completed an introductory offer.
StoreKit introduces a new array of SKProductDiscount objects within the SKProduct class to display offers within your app to eligible customers. Add a new SKPaymentDiscount object within the SKPayment class to allow these offers to be accepted by the customer.
Apple Pay - Known Issues
- You might be unable to authenticate within Wallet after selecting a card. (44919900) Workaround: On an iPhone with Touch ID, double-click the Home button when your iPhone is locked then select the desired card in Wallet and authenticate before holding your iPhone near the reader. On iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, double-click the side button, select the desired card in Wallet, and authenticate with Face ID before holding your iPhone near the reader.
Cellular - Resolved Issues
- Resolved an issue that prevented prepaid data plan purchases while using cellular data. (47272516)
HealthKit - New Features
- High and low heart rate notifications and irregular heart rhythm notifications are now available as read-only category sample types. (46422154)
iCloud Photos - Resolved Issues
- Photos shared using Sharing Suggestions now load correctly. (47401696)
Lock Screen - Resolved Issues
- The device charge level no longer remains on the lock screen after removing the device from a charger. (47363913)
News - New Features
- Apple News will be available in Canada with iOS 12.2, and is now available for Canadian users on the developer beta. Apple News in Canada supports both English and French. Readers can access a bilingual experience when they follow a channel in a second language. Note: Publications in the beta do not reflect all content that will be available. Top Stories and Digests are not updated as frequently as they will be in the shipping product.
Siri - Resolved Issues
- Siri works in iOS simulators. (46681836)
To download and update your iPhone to iOS 12.2 dev beta 3, you will first need to be a registered developer with a valid configuration profile. If you have iOS 12's "Automatic Updates" enabled, you can let the software update overnight. To install right now, launch the Settings app, select "General," then "Software Update." Tap "Download and Install," then follow the on-screen prompts.
This beta is the third update beta testers have had to experience all the new features coming to iOS 12.2. The public can look forward to new Animoji for iPhone X models, air quality maps in Apple Maps, and AirPlay 2 support, among many other changes.