On Monday, Feb. 4, Apple released the second developer beta for iOS 12.2. The update features bug fixes to users running iOS 12.2 beta 1, as well as four new Animoji for Face ID devices. Developers are strongly encouraged to update their iPhones. It's unclear at this time whether the update includes a fix for the Group FaceTime bug discovered last week.
The main attraction for 12.2 dev beta 2 is the addition of four new Animoji — users can now choose from a giraffe, shark, boar, and owl on their iPhone X, XS, XS Max, or XR. In addition to the new Animoji, AT&T users in certain markets may see a new "5G E" symbol on their iPhone XS, XS Max, or XR. Don't be mistaken — there are currently no 5G networks for any smartphones to connect to in the US. Rather, this marks AT&T "5G Evolution" technology, a slightly speedier version of the 4G LTE we all know.
The update also contains a number of bug fixes, as well as some new and preexisting issues:
Apple Pay Known Issues
- You might be unable to authenticate within Wallet after selecting a card. (44919900) Workaround: On an iPhone with Touch ID, double-click the Home button when your iPhone is locked then select the desired card in Wallet and authenticate before holding your iPhone near the reader. On iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, double-click the side button, select the desired card in Wallet, and authenticate with Face ID before holding your iPhone near the reader.
Cellular Resolved Issues
- Resolved an issue that prevented prepaid data plan purchases while using cellular data. (47272516)
HealthKit New Features
- High and low heart rate notifications and irregular heart rhythm notifications are now available as read-only category sample types. (46422154)
iCloud Photos Resolved Issues
- Photos shared using Sharing Suggestions now load correctly. (47401696)
Lock Screen Known Issues
- The device charge level may remain on the lock screen after removing the device from a charger. (47363913) Workaround: Power the device off, then back on again.
News New Features
- Apple News will be available in Canada with iOS 12.2, and is now available for Canadian users on the developer beta. Apple News in Canada supports both English and French. Readers can access a bilingual experience when they follow a channel in a second language. Note: Publications in the beta do not reflect all content that will be available. Top Stories and Digests are not updated as frequently as they will be in the shipping product.
Siri Resolved Issues
- Siri works in iOS simulators. (46681836)
To download and update your iPhone to iOS 12.2 dev beta 2, you will first need to be a registered developer with a valid configuration profile. If you have iOS 12's "Automatic Updates" enabled, you can let the software update overnight. To install right now, launch the Settings app, select "General," then "Software Update." Tap "Download and Install," then follow the on-screen prompts.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: