Apple released the first developer beta for iOS 14.3 on Thursday, Nov. 12, only to pull the update back, push it back out, and finally release it for real. An afternoon marred by Apple server issues spanning macOS Big Sur downloads to iMessage and Apple Pay could have been part of the issue. The new update for iPhone adds ProRAW support for iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
The update's three appearances come one week after Apple released iOS 14.2 to the general public, which added over 100 new emoji, eight fresh wallpapers, and support for HomePod's new Intercom feature.
Aside from Apple ProRAW support, the Weather app also sees some love. According to Apple, "Air-quality health recommendations are now provided at specific air-quality levels for the United States ... Air-quality data is now provided by BreezoMeter." App Clips can now also be scanned with the Camera.
Other changes include:
- A new privacy popup when opening the App Store for the first time
- Support for PS5 controller and Luna Amazon controller
- A new pregnancy data option in Health
- Future cardio fitness notifications with a paired Apple Watch running watchOS 7.2
- 14.3 code suggests smart devices will be updatable directly from Home
- 14.3 code shows a Pairing video in Find My app, suggesting future AirTags release
- Apple claims 14.3 will add support for scanning App Clips codes with the camera
If you're a public beta tester, you'll need to wait for 14.3 public beta 1, which, like this dev beta, could arrive at any time.
iOS & iPadOS 14.3 Beta Release Notes
Update your apps to use new features, and test your apps against API changes.
- The iOS & iPadOS 14.3 SDK provides support to develop apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices running iOS & iPadOS 14.3 beta. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 12.3 beta, available available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 12.3 beta, see Xcode 12.3 Beta Release Notes.
App Clip Code Scanning - New Features
- Launch App Clips by scanning App Clip Codes using Camera or from Control Center. (70594499)
App Store - Resolved Issues
- SKOverlay no longer fails to display when using SKAdNetwork parameters in apps installed via Xcode, TestFlight, or OTA distribution. (69677890)
Apple ProRAW - Known Isssues
- Capturing using Apple ProRAW will fail unless the AVFoundation Capture photo request explicitly requests a thumbnail. (71044302)
HomeKit - Known Issues
- Changing the Require Authentication setting, under Personal Requests in the Home App, will have no effect. (71128465)
Weather - New Features
- Air-quality health recommendations are now provided at specific air-quality levels for the United States, UK, Germany, India, and Mexico. Air-quality data is now provided by BreezoMeter. (61549519, 69005714)
- Air-quality data is now available for specific locations in China, and is provided by QWeather. (69005588)
- Air-quality data for Germany now reflects the updated UBA scale. (66450687)
- Air-quality data for Mexico now uses the ICARS scale. (66450687)
To update your iPhone to iOS 14.3 dev beta 1, you'll need to be a registered developer. You can use the restore image for your iPhone available in the Developer portal (install with iTunes or Finder) or install the configuration profile, then update over the air. If you already have the profile installed on your iPhone, head over to Settings –> General –> Software Update to start installing the latest beta build, or you can wait until it installs automatically if "Automatic Updates" is enabled.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: