Apple just released the third public beta for iOS 14.2 today, Wednesday, Oct. 14. This update includes new glyphs for the HomePod mini and Beats Flex, support for HomePod's upcoming new "Intercom" feature, new core media features, and SwiftUI fixes.
Intercom is a HomePod feature that works across iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches. With it, you can ask Siri to relay a message to a specific HomePod in your house, as if you were speaking through an intercom.
This update comes one day after apple released iOS 14.2 developer beta 3, which the company released shortly after their iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro announcement. Apple will seed public testers this update at 10 a.m. PDT.
iOS & iPadOS 14.2 Beta 3 Release Notes
The iOS & iPadOS 14.2 SDK provides support to develop apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices running iOS & iPadOS 14.2. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 12.2 beta 3, available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 12.2, see Xcode 12.2 Beta 3 Release Notes.
General: Known Issues
- Restore Image updates aren't currently supported for iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation) and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation). (70176642) Workaround: Use Software Update instead.
Core Media: New Features
- Support for multiple concurrent AVURLAsset instances on offline HLS filesystem URLs has been improved.
- You can now use multiple concurrent AVPlayerItem objects and other AVFoundation objects on offline HLS assets with completed AVMediaSelection objects without triggering network reads.
- The progress indicator logic of AVMediaSelection ordering for AVAggregateAssetDownloadTask has been improved. (64551736)
- High-contrast asset catalog images are correctly used by Image when in an environment with colorSchemeContrast == .increased. (65164844)
- An Image embedded in Text no longer incorrectly appears black in widgets. (69392317)
- Menu label text is now able to wrap as expected. (68824462)
- Xcode Previews no longer quit unexpectedly when previewing a view using FetchRequest. (65544435)
To update your iPhone to iOS 14.2 public beta 3, sign up through Apple's beta site, download and install the configuration profile, then update over the air. If you already have the profile, go to Settings –> General –> Software Update to begin the installation of the latest beta build, or you can wait until it installs automatically if "Automatic Updates" is enabled.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions.