After the lackluster update that was iOS 13.3.1, we beta testers were in need of some excitement. Thankfully, Apple delivered the goods with iOS 13.4 developer beta 1, introducing fun new features like fresh Memoji stickers and a new Mail toolbar. Of course, that update was for developers only, so we public testers are thrilled that Apple just released the first public beta today.
Apple seeded public testers 13.4 public beta 1 today, Monday, Feb. 10, at 1 p.m. EST (10 a.m. PST), five days after the release of dev beta 1. If you're wondering what that delay is all about, it's completely normal. Apple typically waits to release the first public beta for a major update to see if there are any significant bugs or issues with the software. That way, the company avoids infected a large pool of iPhones with the issues, and can correct them for the first public release.
So, what's new in iOS 13.4's first public beta? Take a look below:
- 9 New Memoji stickers
- An update Mail toolbar, featuring "Move" and "Flag" options
- Developers can now sell iOS and macOS apps as one purchase
- iCloud Folder sharing is back; Family Sharing integration is now supported in TV
- CarKey API will bring the ability to control your NFC-compatible car with your iPhone
- Third-party navigation and new call controls support in CarPlay
- Control Center on home button iPhones resembles the layout of iPhone X devices, with network information in the top-left, and battery information in the top-right
- When an app previously authorized for "While Using the App" location permission requests "Always" authorization, your iPhone will then show the location authorization prompt
- You can now create Shazam shortcuts
- A new "Always Listen for 'Hey Siri' " option in Accessibility –> Siri, which will listen for Hey Siri commands even when your iPhone is face down or covered
- You'll see a new temporary VPN Disabled icon in the status bar
- You can tell Siri to go to the home screen
- Apple Music lyrics identifies instrumental sections with an ellipsis
- Family Sharing integration in TV
- Browse by genre in your TV Library
- New "Details" button for shows in TV
There are also some bugs, however. After you check out a specific app's settings, then return to the main Settings page, Settings might quit; you can't download this beta via Restore Image on iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max; and Photos might not sync correctly to Apple Watch, among other developer-specific bugs. You can check out the full release notes below:
iOS & iPadOS 13.4 Beta Release Notes
The iOS & iPadOS 13.4 SDK provides support for developing apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices running iOS & iPadOS 13.4. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 11.4 available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 11.4, see Xcode 11.4 Beta Release Notes.
General - Known Issues
- After viewing specific app settings and then returning to the main Settings page, the Settings app might quit unexpectedly. (59124369)
- iOS 13.4 beta is available for iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max using the Configuration Profile. Installation using the Restore Image isn't currently available for these models. (59163378)
CarPlay - Known Issues
- If the Siri interface no longer appears as expected, try restarting your phone. (58685659)
Location Services - New Features
- When an app requests Always authorization for the first time after having previously been authorized for While Using the App, the device immediately presents the location authorization prompt. (57106235)
Photos - New Features
- New keyboard shortcuts are available in Photos on iPadOS which allow you to quickly navigate between tabs, search, and create albums. While in full screen mode you can also delete, duplicate, and enter Edit mode using a keyboard. (57195967)
Photos - Known Issues
- Photos might not sync as expected to Apple Watch. (58345344)
RealityKit - Known Issues
- The code-generated loading methods don't load Reality Files. (58925510) Workaround: Use the load(contentsOf:withName:) and loadAnchor(contentsOf:withName:) methods without specifying the scene name in the URL. If you have multiple scenes in your Reality Composer project, please create individual Reality Files and Reality Composer projects for each scene and load them using these methods.
SwiftUI - New Features
- When using a NavigationView with multiple columns, the navigation bar now shows a control to toggle the columns. (49074511)
- The onDrag and onDrop modifiers are now available on iOS. (49661347)
To download and install iOS 13.4 public beta 1, sign up through Apple's beta site, download and install the configuration profile, then update over the air. If you already have the profile, go to Settings –> General –> Software Update to begin the installation of the latest beta build, or you can wait until it installs automatically if "Automatic Updates" is enabled.
Note: according to Apple, iOS 13.4 dev beta 1 is available for iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max using the Configuration Profile only, not the Restore Image. All other 13.4 compatible iPhones appear to be unaffected.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: