If you're looking to get a new iPhone 14 Pro or 14 Pro Max, which model should you choose? What makes the iPhone 14 Pro different than the 14 Pro Max? Find out.
In the same vein as the iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max models, the 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max are identical except for a few noticeable differences. Overall, it comes down to what size you're comfortable with and how much you're willing to spend. This is different than what Apple did with the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max, which had a few big feature distinctions, like telephoto zoom and camera stabilization.
When you measure them as a standard rectangular, the iPhone 14 Pro screen is 6.1 inches diagonally versus the iPhone 14 Pro Max's 6.7 inches. Those are the same screen sizes as the iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max, iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max, and even the iPhone 14 and 14 Plus. The new models both have always-on Super Retina XDR all-screen OLED displays with ProMotion technology.
- iPhone 14 Pro: 6.1-inch screen
- iPhone 14 Pro Max: 6.7-inch screen
Speaking of the display, the screen resolution for the iPhone 14 Pro is 2,556 by 1,179 pixels, while the iPhone 14 Pro Max's is slightly larger at 2,796 by 1,290 pixels. Both are at 460 ppi (pixels per inch) density.
- iPhone 14 Pro: 2,556 x 1,179 pixels at 460 ppi
- iPhone 14 Pro Max: 2,796 x 1,290 pixels at 460 ppi
Given the screen size difference between the iPhone 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max, it's obvious that their dimensions and weights wouldn't be the same. While they both are 0.31 inches deep, the iPhone 14 Pro is 5.81 inches high by 2.81 inches wide at 7.27 ounces, and the iPhone 14 Pro Max is 6.33 inches high by 3.05 inches wide at 8.47 ounces.
- iPhone 14 Pro: 5.81 (H) x 2.81 (W) x 0.31 (D) at 7.27 oz.
- iPhone 14 Pro Max: 6.33 (H) x 3.05 (W) x 0.31 (D) at 8.47 oz.
A bigger display with a larger resolution needs more battery power. The iPhone 14 Pro has a smaller battery than the iPhone 14 Pro Max, but the larger battery in the latter is powerful enough to outlast the former in all areas. The 14 Pro only gets up to 23 hours of video playback and 20 hours of streaming video compared to the 14 Pro Max's 29 and 25. Audio playback has an even more significant gap, at 75 versus 95 hours.
- iPhone 14 Pro: Playback for video (23 hr.), streaming video (20 hr.), and audio (75 hr.)
- iPhone 14 Pro Max: Playback for video (29 hr.), streaming video (25 hr.), and audio (95 hr.)
The final difference between the two iPhone 14 models is the price. The iPhone 14 Pro starts at $999 (128 GB) and maxes out at $1,499 (1 TB), while the 14 Pro Max starts at $1,099 (128 GB) and maxes out at $1,599 (1 TB).
AppleCare+ and AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss are the same prices for all versions. AppleCare+ is $199 for two years or $9.99 monthly, while the Theft and Loss plan is $269 for two years or $13.49 monthly.
- iPhone 14 Pro (128 GB): $999
- iPhone 14 Pro Max (128 GB): $1,099
- iPhone 14 Pro (256 GB): $1,099
- iPhone 14 Pro Max (256 GB): $1,199
- iPhone 14 Pro (512 GB): $1,299
- iPhone 14 Pro Max (512 GB): $1,399
- iPhone 14 Pro (1 TB): $1,499
- iPhone 14 Pro Max (1 TB): $1,599
While there are sure to be a few different parts on the inside, we won't know anything about that until someone breaks them both open, like in iFixit's teardowns and YouTube videos from JerryRigEverything and other creators.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: