For the first time, Apple has announced four new iPhone models at the same time. At the Oct. 13 web-only event, Apple revealed the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. This year, it made a phone for everyone. But when can you get your hands on one of these 2020 models?
Another important question to ask is where you can get one. The obvious answer is from Apple directly, but there are other places to preorder and buy the new iPhone 12 and 12 Pro models, such as some big-box stores and your wireless carrier. With the coronavirus limiting the number of people that can enter stores in some areas, buying it online and having your device shipped may be the safest option.
The release date varies based on which late-2020 iPhone model you want. Starting on Friday, Oct. 23, 2020, you can purchase the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro online, but the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max won't be available until Friday, Nov. 13, 2020. When you're ready to buy, you can shop from any of the stores below (there are many more, but these are the big ones).
- Shop at Apple [locations]
- Shop at Amazon [no physical locations]
- Shop at AT&T [locations]
- Shop at Best Buy [locations]
- Shop at O2 (UK) [locations]
- Shop at T-Mobile [locations]
- Shop at U.S. Cellular [locations]
- Shop at Verizon Wireless [locations]
- Shop at Vodafone (Australia) [locations]
- Shop at Vodafone (UK) [locations]
Just like the release date, the preorder date varies base on the late-2020 iPhone model you want to get. Starting Friday, Oct. 16, 2020, at 5 a.m. PDT, you can pre-purchase the iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro online, but the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max won't be available to preorder until 5 a.m. PST on Friday, Nov. 6, 2020. When you're ready to buy, you can shop from any of the stores below (there are many more, but these are the big ones).
- Preorder at Apple
- Preorder at Amazon
- Preorder at AT&T
- Preorder at Best Buy
- Preorder at O2 (UK)
- Preorder at T-Mobile
- Preorder at U.S. Cellular
- Preorder at Verizon Wireless
- Preorder at Vodafone (Australia)
- Preorder at Vodafone (UK)
Important: If you're on the iPhone Upgrade Program through Apple, make sure to check out the Apple Store app so that you can be among the first to preorder your new iPhone.
Apple's new iPhone models don't come in just one storage option. To make things easier for you, here are all the different prices from Apple:
- iPhone 12 mini, 64 GB — $729
- iPhone 12 mini, 128 GB — $779
- iPhone 12 mini, 256 GB — $879
- iPhone 12, 64 GB — $829
- iPhone 12, 128 GB — $879
- iPhone 12, 256 GB — $979
- iPhone 12 Pro, 128 GB — $999
- iPhone 12 Pro, 256 GB — $1,099
- iPhone 12 Pro, 512 GB — $1,299
- iPhone 12 Pro Max, 128 GB — $1,099
- iPhone 12 Pro Max, 256 GB — $1,199
- iPhone 12 Pro Max, 512 GB — $1,399
Apple has its own iPhone Upgrade Program which helps you pay for a new iPhone model over 24 months at 0% interest. It's financed by Citizens One, and you'll pay 24 equal payments monthly for the total cost of the iPhone and AppleCare+ plan chosen.
If you choose this program, you can upgrade to a new iPhone every year after having owned your current iPhone for at least six months with at least 12 payments worth (50% of the iPhone's value) paid off already. An AppleCare+ plan is mandatory for the program, and you have to remain in good standing with Citizens One the entire time you're on the iPhone Upgrade Program to keep upgrading. When upgrading, you have to pay the full tax at the time of purchase, but then everything else is split between 24 months.
- iPhone 12 mini, 64 GB — from $35.33 per month
- iPhone 12 mini, 128 GB — from $37.41 per month
- iPhone 12 mini, 256 GB — from $41.58 per month
- iPhone 12, 64 GB — from $39.50 per month
- iPhone 12, 128 GB — from $41.58 per month
- iPhone 12, 256 GB — from $45.75 per month
- iPhone 12 Pro, 128 GB — from $49.91 per month
- iPhone 12 Pro, 256 GB — from $54.08 per month
- iPhone 12 Pro, 512 GB — from $62.41 per month
- iPhone 12 Pro Max, 128 GB — from $54.08 per month
- Phone 12 Pro Max, 128 GB — from $58.25 per month
- Phone 12 Pro Max, 128 GB — from $66.58 per month
Another option is Apple's Trade-Up Program. Instead of financing an iPhone 12 or 12 Pro model, you can trade in an eligible device toward the payment on it. We recommend comparing the price Apple offers with third-party sites like eBay and Swappa to maximum the trade-in value for your current device. But Apple accepts iPhones, iPads, Macs, Apple Watches, Android devices, and more, so you don't just have to trade in an iPhone.
- More Info: Get the Most Value from Your iPhone Trade-In
While Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program may be the best deal, it isn't perfect. If you switch to an MVNO carrier such as Google Fi, you won't be able to upgrade next time. That also applies to the carrier deals. That said, carriers might be your best bet, depending on your situation.
AT&T has its Installment Plan, which lets you pay off the full price of your iPhone at 0% interest over 30 months. No down payment is needed if your credit is good enough, and you can add on Next Up for $5 more each month. Next Up is the program that lets you upgrade to a new device after 30 to 90 days of being on the Installment Plan and after 50% of your current device is paid off.
See T-Mobile below since it and Sprint have merged.
When you go with T-Mobile's JUMP! On Demand, you sign an 18-month lease that allows you to change your iPhone once every 30 days. It's perhaps a bit overkill for anyone since switching phones that frequently makes customizability kind of pointless. To keep the costs down for upgrades, you'll want to make at least 12 months of on-time payments. If you don't want to upgrade, you can pay off the remainder of the iPhone after 9 months past the end of the lease.
There is also an Equipment Installment Plan (EIP) option, which spreads the cost over 24 or 36 months, but the monthly payments are higher. Down payments may vary depending on the model and your creditworthiness. If you cancel wireless service, the remaining amount of the phone is due immediately. You can also add the optional Protection <360> to get JUMP! features, which means the ability to upgrade sooner than later.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: